How Smartcool Saves Energy
by Compressor Optimization
Smartcool's ECO3 and ESM use intelligent compressor optimization to save an average 15% kWh and give customers a payback in 12 to 36 months.
Air conditioning, refrigeration and heat pump (HVAC-R) units waste a lot of energy through natural inefficiency. Their compressors consume about 70% of the total energy used by the system. The average building has about 35% of its total energy used up by these systems- and many businesses see much more of their energy bill coming from their cooling systems.
The ECO3 or ESM is installed between the thermostat or primary controller and the compressor in any HVAC-R system. Here's how it works:
- Temperature in a controlled space will rise until it hits the maximum temperature allowed by the thermostat. The thermostat will then ask the compressor to run until the minimum temperature is achieved.
- This system is operating within a control band. As the top of the band when the compressor begins to run, conditions are at their most efficient.
- As the compressor continues to provide cooling and approaches the bottom of the control band, it is using twice as much energy to achieve each degree of cooling as it was when it started at the top of the band.
Smartcool solves this natural inefficiency with compressor optimization tailored to suit the existing controls and equipment.
Smartcool Cycle Optimization
- Smartcool's ECO3 and ESM are installed between the compressor and the thermostat or controller. From there, they actively monitor and analyze the conditions of the system.
- The ECO3 and ESM use the information they gather to dynamically adjust the length of each cooling cycle in order to help the compressor operate more often under its most energy efficient conditions.
- The ECO3 or ESM will intercept the signal from the controller and calculate when the compressor should start and how long it should run for maximum energy savings while still achieving temperature requirements.
- Smartcool's technology will not allow the compressor to short cycle and keeps it operating within manufacturer recommended conditions.
Some systems, like chillers (also called chilled line systems), may require a more advanced control methodology. For these systems, Smartcool provides custom load management strategies to save energy.
Advanced Load Modulation
- Smartcool's ESM can ben installed within existing control methodologies to modulate load for periods of time during the cooling cycle
- The ESM continues to actively monitor the system operating profile, but will not turn the compressor on or off.
- Instead, the ESM is able to intelligently vary the compressor capacity through the controller, shedding load when it is not needed to achieve cooling requirements.
Learn More About...
Safety & Testing